Bhutila Karpoche MPP, Parkdale–High Park

Government of Ontario

Doug Ford refuses to listen to Opioid Task Force

Published on October 25, 2018

Ford’s government hasn’t contacted expert panel in four months

NDP MPP Bhutila Karpoche said Doug Ford is continuing to ignore the experts as Ontario’s opioid crisis worsens – so much so, that the Opioid Task Force describes being shut out by the Ford government.

“Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health has said the Opioid Task Force was an important part of the province’s effort to turn the tide on the opioid crisis,” said Karpoche. “But instead of working with this expert panel to address this crisis, the Ford government has not contacted them for the last four months.

“So far, the Ford government has refused to declare the opioid crisis a public health emergency, paused the opening of the overdose prevention sites, wasted four months on an unnecessary review when the evidence was clear, and pitted communities against each other by placing a hard cap of 21 sites. Now the minister has also prevented the opioid task force from doing their work.”

Karpoche raised the issue at Queen’s Park, saying ignoring the task force and shutting out experts is not helping to solve the growing opioid crisis.

“The opioid crisis continues to escalate, with more people dying every day. Ontarians and their families deserve far better than this.”