Calling all young people! MPP Bhutila Karpoche is inviting all local high school students to participate in the Second Annual Parkdale—High Park Member’s Statement Writing Competition. Participants can submit a written statement on a topic they feel passionate about, modelled off of the statements MPPs present in the legislature at Queen’s Park to draw attention to an issue of their choosing. The winning submission will be read aloud by MPP Bhutila Karpoche at Queen’s Park during the Winter 2024 Legislative Session.
The Parkdale—High Park Member’s Statement Writing Competition is designed to empower young people and foster youth participation in politics by bringing their voice directly to parliament and speaking about issues through their own words.When the legislature is in session, Members of Provincial Parliament from all parties routinely make 90-second statements on topics of their choosing. This is an opportunity for MPPs to raise awareness for a particular issue, highlight a person, initiative, or event that has made an impact on their community or on the province, or express their opinion of a specific issue.
The Competition Selection Committee will choose a winner from the pool of submissions. Members of the Committee will consist of community leaders from diverse backgrounds and fields of expertise. A full list of Committee members will be made available once it is finalized.
Shortlisted applicants and their families will be invited to Queen’s Park for an event where the winner will be selected.
Students must be in grades 9-12, attending one of the following high schools located in Parkdale—High Park:
- Humberside Collegiate Institute
- Parkdale Collegiate Institute
- Runnymede Collegiate Institute
- The Student School
- Ursula Franklin Academy
- Western Technical-Commercial School
- Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton Catholic Secondary School
Submission and Deadline
- Statement must be 60 seconds when read aloud (approximately 140 words)
- Participants must email a PDF copy of their statement and a completed participation form to [email protected] with the subject line: Member’s Statement Writing Competition
- DEADLINE: February 2nd, 2024